Located at 436 South 6th St.,  La Crescent            

 (507) 895-1115


Wednesday:  1 - 5 PM   

Thursday:   2 - 6 PM

Second Saturday of each Month:   9 AM - 12 PM

We are open for shopping inside the Food Shelf.  Now that Houston County is in a LOW risk category per CDC, masks are not required.  Please call us if you need food but can't make it in to visit us, for example, if you are sick, or have trouble with transportation or our hours.

Would you like more information, or to volunteer with us?     

Email us at: LaCrescentFoodShelf@gmail.com 

or call (507) 895-1115

Follow our Facebook Page to stay up to date: https://www.facebook.com/lacrescentfoodshelf/

Latest News and Updates

2022 Summary:


November News:

October Events: Home Federal Drive, Hunger Walk, and Trick-or-Treat For Food

September Events: Applefest King Apple Parade - Merchants Bank float & Mark Miller's Car Show

Thank you to all who helped to "Give a Buck To The Food Shelf Truck!" in this year's parade - we raised $2,082, and Merchants Bank will match that with $1,000. We also collected 65 lbs of food donations along the route.  We truly appreciate the generous support from our community and Merchants Bank, and also a huge thank you to Merchants Bank staff, Food Shelf volunteers, and the Caledonia Robotics team and their 2 robots, for walking & rolling in the parade collecting funds!

We're also very grateful for Mark Miller and all who helped with the Apple Harvest Car Show, they collected 266 lbs of food donations for us at their event!

These donations of funds and food help us keep our shelves filled!

Open Your Heart Summer Challenge July 2022

July is the annual Summer Challenge grant from Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless through Hunger Solutions of MN - providing a grant to match any financial donations made in July, to participating Minnesota Food Shelves. 

The La Crescent Food Shelf is so grateful for any and all contributions from our community - we've been blessed with your support through the pandemic, helping us with our mission to provide healthy food to any who need it.  If you feel led to make a donation this summer, make it in July to help us get the matching funds, and your donation goes even further.  You can donate by check to La Crescent Food Shelf, 436 S. 6th St, La Crescent, MN 55947; or online at givemn.org/story/LaCrescentFoodShelf ; or in person when we are open on Wednesdays 1 - 5 PM, Thursdays 2 - 6 PM and the 2nd Saturday in July (9th), 9 AM - Noon.  Thank you!

Scouting for Food Drive Saturday April 2, 2022

Please have any non-perishable food donations out and visible from the road (at door if visible, or mailbox) by 9 AM for the Scouts to pick up. We are so grateful for your donations, and thank you to the Scouts and families in Troop 33 and Pack 98 for helping with this large collection event!

Thank you also to La Crescent United Methodist Church for allowing us the use of their space to sort the food before we move it over to the Food Shelf, and for volunteers who make all this happen!

Farmers to Families Box Distribution  this past year:
Each week we received about 120  boxes of food to distribute through the federal Farmers to Families program, and we distributed these boxes at 3:30 PM outside the Food Shelf.  The box  usually contained a mix of dairy, produce and meat.  The intent of the USDA's Coronavirus Food Assistance Program is to help farmers and families affected by the COVID19 Pandemic, and there are no income guidelines, anyone can come get a box of food!
This program is continuing in March, April and May of 2021.

We have moved again, to a location that will better serve both the visitors to the Food Shelf as well as the volunteers who help make our work possible. 

Our new location is 436 South 6th St in La Crescent, the building that was formerly Pam's Hair Salon, near the La Crescent-Hokah Elementary School.  We are so grateful to the School District for allowing us to rent this space.

THANK YOU to all who helped with painting, moving and cleaning, to get our new location ready for use! Thank you to Thrivent Financial for their Action Grant to offset paint costs!

We are so blessed to have had so many dedicated volunteers assisting us with our operations, and then with our big move to our new location. We had many volunteers helping paint the walls, and many more helping with the move of all our shelving and food. Montessori STEM School students helped with the move as well.

More Stories:

In May of 2018, we moved from Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, to the HCP Center at 333 Main St., La Crescent. 

In March of 2019, we switched from offering pre-bagged food, to a client choice style. Clients now choose the food items that they prefer and can use, with some limits, so we can share with all who are in need.  

THANK YOU to all who helped walk with us in the Merchants Bank "Food Explosion" float in the King Apple Parade at Applefest! 

We are filled with gratitude for the community donations of 309 pounds of food, and $2,331.16 in donations! Of course, we couldn't do this without the steadfast support of Merchants Bank, and we are so grateful for their matching gift of $1,000 - plus $700 in purchased foods.  All in all, a roughly $4,500 value, which helps us meet the increasing needs we are seeing. THANK YOU!

History of the La Crescent Food Shelf

Our first food shelf was started by a La Crescent couple in the early 1970s as an effort to meet the needs of people that had a limited ability to provide for their daily nutritional needs.  The couple worked from their home distributing food to people that would stop by. Finally it became too much for the couple to handle and so the local clergy decided to move the shelf to the local City Water Works where there was a storage shed.  This arrangement lasted for only a brief period of time due to the difficulty of managing distribution from that location. The food shelf was moved to Prince of Peace Church in the 1980s.

With a few food drives and the support of businesses, the La Crescent Food Shelf was able to meet the basic needs of those that used it.  People were able to use our shelf once a month and receive nutritionally balanced bags of food and at times some extras such as fresh produce from our community garden, farmers market and neighbors.

Volunteers began to label shelves and read codes to determine the age of the cans before the food was distributed. The volunteers packed the number of bags according to the size of the family being served and an effort was made to meet nutritional guidelines.  Accessories such as soaps, shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrushes, Kleenex and toilet paper were also made available.

Our shelf serves all Houston county residents, though the majority of our clients live in La Crescent proper. In 1998 we served 300 people for the year; in 2012 we served 3000 people.  In past years, 65 volunteers alternated over a 12 week period and packed food for the people in need. Many of these same people as well as other volunteers came in to help sort, check dates and stack the shelves during the various food drives held in the community during the course of the year.  Prince of Peace Lutheran Church staff members also helped during the course of the week by distributing food from the church office.

Today at the LA Crescent Food Shelf

Our community continues to support our food shelf over the years as the needs in our community increase. Private donations, and donations made at area churches help support us.  Local organizations such as Boy and Girl Scout groups, the American Legion, La Crescent Rotary, Lions Club, area churches, the Letter Carriers Drive, Halloween Trick or Treat for Food, the Canadian Pacific Holiday Train and the Rotary Lights are also significant contributors to keeping the shelf full. This is truly a community food shelf!

We are so thankful for the support of Our Partners:

We are a partner agency of Channel One Food Bank, and receive  food bi-monthly, including USDA Commodity Foods from The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) to those who meet eligibility criteria.
We also receive rescue retail foods from area Kwik Trips through our partnership with Channel One.

We are a partner agency of The Hunger Task Force of La Crosse, receiving foods each week.  This helps us round out our produce offerings and our rescue deli items, as well as dairy, meats and breads as available.

We are thankful to have support from both of these great organizations, as we are a town on the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.